Newton, Massachusetts
3.5K views 55 comments

After 14 days, you cant return any product to STAPLES directly, you need to contact the manufacturer. I bought an HP Printer from Staples 2 months ago, and its not working. HP agreed and decided to send me a new printer. However, only if I give them my credit card to ensure I send back the defective one within 14 days. I find this terrible customer service, so I thought I could simply return the defective printer to my local STAPLES location......

.....NOT! They refused to handle it unless I bought their extended warranty service plan. So let me see, they WONT take the product back, but, if I paid additional money at the time of purchase they WILL take the product back. Thats why I will never buy from STAPLES again, poor customer service.

Contacting the local store manager directly AND calling their customer service line was no help at all. Understanding a problem and making a decision to ensure your keeping your customers happy and LOYAL is what its all about. STAPLES clearly does not understand this.

I am a Sales Manager in the Northeast responsible for 7 sales reps and all of their office supply expense authorizations, I am immediately instructing them that any purchases at any STAPLES will NOT be approved. Thank god my factory does business exclusively at WB Mason.

Review about: Hp Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless.

Review #219068 is a subjective opinion of a user.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Staples Manager
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $179
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Staples?

Comments

Another lost customer.

My $65 dollars worth of printer ink is brand new and cannot be returned.My printer broke immediately after installing new ink for some reason.

Printer is older model and is not available anymore, so now the ink is obsolete. I cannot use it anywhere. Staples will not accept brand new unused ink because of 14 day policy. Explains why they want you to pay MORE money for insurance.

REALLY terrible way to treat your customers.

Eventually this company will go out of business and thank goodness for that!Take a lesson from Zappos will you Staples?!

Acer I***ia w3 disapointed
Kissimmee, Florida, United States #692919

Dear Staples:

The tablet is to small for my eyes. When I purchase it, the clerk in the store ordered it online, to be pick up at the store a few days later. I got a receipt that does not states anything about returns or warranties.( I can email you a copy) The clerk told us we have 90 days ( I do not know what he meant by that) I have not being able to use it, because I was in charge our church first summer camp right after I got it. Know, I am starting a new bible school and have very little time to do my personal things. As mention to your clerk in the store, the person over the phone from Staples, and to the person from Acer (Phone courtesy of Staples). I have known about the return policy, I would have turn the unit long ago. They all wash their hands and claim rules over common sense. SO I still want either to return the unit, or to exchange it for a bigger one. So please find me someone in charge, someone who cares.

Remember this unit is 32 days old. and still in the box.

People make your own conclusions.

Paradise, Nevada, United States #680139

The return policy sucks!We bought the extended warranty and they still wouldn't even do an even exchange!

What kind of business is this. I was worried about the printer breaking so I specifically asked the cashier if I could return it if anything went wrong and they told me yes! Obviously not the case!

So messed up!I'm never buying anything there ever again!

Staples Employee
Albany, New York, United States #614508

On every printer box, we have stickers that CLEARLY STATE that it cannot be returned after 14 days.The PRP's (Product Replacement Plans) aren't that expensive and if your printer stopped working when you ave the PRP, you send it to Staples and they give you money to buy another printer, either the same one, or another one.

Don'e get mad at Staples due to their return policy, you should have bought the plan.

Sorry, you won't get sympathy from many employees.:?

Extended Service Plans ***k
to Staples Employee #746543

DO NOT buy staples' Extended Service Protection Plan.I had a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I purchased there.

At the time of purchase, I also bought their beautiful 3-year ESP plan. At the store I was told that if I had any problems, hey, no problem! Bring it in and we'll take care of it! Well, after a problem developed, within the first year, I called the phone number on the ESP plan brochure, and was told that for the first year I had to use the manufacturer's warranty, which means I would have had to pack the thing up and ship it to Toshiba.

I said no way, refund the money I paid for your useless plan. The money was refunded (prorated). As gawd is my witness I will never, NEVER get one of those ripoff plans again, and I may also never purchase a big-ticket item from those charlatans again. Think about it; they sell you a 3-year plan and you can't use it for the first year!

:grin Good one, Staples!Why don't you just resort to robbing liquor stores?

Tom Gulabl

Thanks so much for the advice Some1...hindsight is truly 20/20 I suppose.Sadly though in my region (Medford, Oregon) the \"holiday return policy modification - Staples Code 3813360) is not in effect as it is in other regions of the nation.

Due to the liberal nature and inclusiveness of the community, Medford has its residents register and designate which holidays they observe for the calender year, and due to my unique upbringing (Hasidic Jamaican Albino), I opted out of the \"traditional\" Judeo-Christian holidays and applied to honor Rastafarian themed ones, thus making the \"wintertime holidays\" null and void for my residency. Live and learn, huh? Now I face a quandary for next year\'s registration choices...do I choose Christian and be a part of the status quo? or opt to remain true to my faith and suffer the consequences of limited product return windows at Staples?

As you can tell, this is a tough spot to be in. I did write an email to Mitt Romney, figuring that as a potential leader of the free world and Staples shareholder, he could properly advise me on the matter. He did offer me some awesome fashion advice (a sensible white button down shirt, Dockers slacks, and a 10 speed bike) as well as some really cool publications. How did he know that I held the all time score for Mormon Trail in middle school?

The guy is good, I tell you.

Anyway, I will try to be more cautious with my Staples purchases in the future and tell myself that I...

Some1

Maybe you should have gone to Staples.com instead of taple.com...and during winter time it falls under the holiday return policy so instead of 14 days you have about a month, the return process returns to normal somewhere in the beginning of January 7 or 8th and starts around Thanksgiving

Tom Gulabl

I had a return issue with Staples regarding a laptop that I had purchased. I live quite a ways from the store and being it was wintertime with snow and bad roads, I was unable to get to the location within the 14 day time period.

My newly purchased laptop was missing the (S) & (O) keys. I called my Staples store to see if I could get an extension of the 14 day period. They were so friendly and advised me to send an email to corporate to ask for one. So I sent an email to their customer service department at taple.cm. It was sadly returned to me as a delivery failure. I then contacted my local store again and was advised to visit their website for resolution. When I attempted to log into www.taple.cm, I received a "404 Error" that it didn't exist. I felt so ***, as I now surmised that the bad weather that prevented me from getting to the store, had also shut down their email servers, as well as website. Not many places were open with this large winter storm.I should have known better.

I was able to get to my Staples on day 14, but sadly it was closed. The police and the nice man at the alarm company said something about it being after midnight or something like that. I did think it was a really cool feature having all of the bright lights come on when I got into the store to assist me in finding a replacement keyboard for my computer. Just my dumb luck that they would be out of them. The following day when I called and spoke to an Easy Tech, I was told...

Some1

@CC

I'd like to point out this part.

Returns without a receipt: If you don't have your receipt, your return is eligible only for an in–store credit for the lowest selling price within the previous 30 days in our U.S. stores. Valid government identification is required for all non–receipted returns. We carefully monitor returns and in some cases returns made or without a receipt may be refused. Staples reserves the right to deny any return.

My suggestion is find the receipt or provide the information to corporate so they can find it for you...location, estimated price, rewards, method of payment etc.

CC

Here is a copy of their return policy. Note under Office Products.

Return Policy

Easy Returns.

If you’re not 100% satisfied with your Staples purchase, return it for any reason.

Office supplies: No matter when you made your purchase, you can return office supplies to us for a full refund, including Staples® brand office products.

Software: Unopened software that we currently sell may be returned for a full refund at any time. Opened software can only be exchanged for the same title version. Downloadable Software is not returnable.

Technology and Business Machines: Technology and business machines may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt, including Staples® brand technology and business machine products.

Furniture: Furniture, including Staples® brand furniture, may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt. Custom–ordered and custom–assembled furniture is only returnable if it's defective when you receive it.

Ink and Toner Cartridges: Unopened and unexpired ink or toner cartridges, currently carried in our U.S. Stores, may be returned at any time for a full refund.

Prepaid Cards: Gift Cards and phone cards are non–refundable and non–returnable. They are valid only at the retailer/service provider listed on the card. Prepaid cards cannot be redeemed for cash. Specific terms and conditions are included with each card.

Refund Policy.Your purchase...

Returns with a receipt: If you paid with cash, debit card, or check, we’ll refund your purchase with cash if it was an in–store purchase or by check if you purchased through staples.com®. If you paid using a debit card and if the card and PIN are present during the refund, we'll credit the account used for payment. If your purchase exceeded $500 pretax, and you paid with cash, check or by debit card but do not have your debit card, your money will be refunded in the form of a corporate check. If you paid by credit card, we'll credit the account used for payment.

Any product that is returned without a promotional item(s), which was included in the original transaction (e.g. buy a printer, get free ink), will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the amount refunded.

If you ordered through our catalog or Staples.com®, you can also have us pick up your return – just call 1–800–333–3330 or go to support@orders.staples.com. For delivered items, we’ll refund your delivery charges if the item is defective.