Staples - Poor Return Policy

592 of 663 Staples reviews

After 14 days, you cant return any product to STAPLES directly, you need to contact the manufacturer. I bought an HP Printer from Staples 2 months ago, and its not working. HP agreed and decided to send me a new printer. However, only if I give them my credit card to ensure I send back the defective one within 14 days. I find this terrible customer service, so I thought I could simply return the defective printer to my local STAPLES location......

.....NOT! They refused to handle it unless I bought their extended warranty service plan. So let me see, they WONT take the product back, but, if I paid additional money at the time of purchase they WILL take the product back. Thats why I will never buy from STAPLES again, poor customer service.

Contacting the local store manager directly AND calling their customer service line was no help at all. Understanding a problem and making a decision to ensure your keeping your customers happy and LOYAL is what its all about. STAPLES clearly does not understand this.

I am a Sales Manager in the Northeast responsible for 7 sales reps and all of their office supply expense authorizations, I am immediately instructing them that any purchases at any STAPLES will NOT be approved. Thank god my factory does business exclusively at WB Mason.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 8 Yes 8
592 of 663 Staples reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 04, 2015 #1043061

Another lost customer.
My $65 dollars worth of printer ink is brand new and cannot be returned. My printer broke immediately after installing new ink for some reason. Printer is older model and is not available anymore, so now the ink is obsolete. I cannot use it anywhere. Staples will not accept brand new unused ink because of 14 day policy. Explains why they want you to pay MORE money for insurance. REALLY terrible way to treat your customers. Eventually this company will go out of business and thank goodness for that! Take a lesson from Zappos will you Staples?!

Acer Iconia w3 disapointed

Aug 03, 2013 #692919 Kissimmee, Florida, United States

Dear Staples:
The tablet is to small for my eyes. When I purchase it, the clerk in the store ordered it online, to be pick up at the store a few days later. I got a receipt that does not states anything about returns or warranties.( I can email you a copy) The clerk told us we have 90 days ( I do not know what he meant by that) I have not being able to use it, because I was in charge our church first summer camp right after I got it. Know, I am starting a new bible school and have very little time to do my personal things. As mention to your clerk in the store, the person over the phone from Staples, and to the person from Acer (Phone courtesy of Staples). I have known about the return policy, I would have turn the unit long ago. They all wash their hands and claim rules over common sense. SO I still want either to return the unit, or to exchange it for a bigger one. So please find me someone in charge, someone who cares.
Remember this unit is 32 days old. and still in the box.
People make your own conclusions.

Jul 13, 2013 #680139 Paradise, Nevada, United States

The return policy sucks! We bought the extended warranty and they still wouldn't even do an even exchange! What kind of business is this. I was worried about the printer breaking so I specifically asked the cashier if I could return it if anything went wrong and they told me yes! Obviously not the case! So messed up! I'm never buying anything there ever again!

Staples Employee

Feb 25, 2013 #614508 Albany, New York, United States

On every printer box, we have stickers that CLEARLY STATE that it cannot be returned after 14 days. The PRP's (Product Replacement Plans) aren't that expensive and if your printer stopped working when you ave the PRP, you send it to Staples and they give you money to buy another printer, either the same one, or another one. Don'e get mad at Staples due to their return policy, you should have bought the plan. Sorry, you won't get sympathy from many employees. :?

1 1 Reply
Extended Service Plans Suck

Nov 23, 2013 #746543

DO NOT buy staples' Extended Service Protection Plan. I had a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I purchased there. At the time of purchase, I also bought their beautiful 3-year ESP plan. At the store I was told that if I had any problems, hey, no problem! Bring it in and we'll take care of it! Well, after a problem developed, within the first year, I called the phone number on the ESP plan brochure, and was told that for the first year I had to use the manufacturer's warranty, which means I would have had to pack the thing up and ship it to Toshiba. I said no way, refund the money I paid for your useless plan. The money was refunded (prorated). As gawd is my witness I will never, NEVER get one of those ripoff plans again, and I may also never purchase a big-ticket item from those charlatans again. Think about it; they sell you a 3-year plan and you can't use it for the first year! :grin Good one, Staples! Why don't you just resort to robbing liquor stores?

Tom Gulabl

Sep 10, 2012 #540409

Thanks so much for the advice Some1...hindsight is truly 20/20 I suppose. Sadly though in my region (Medford, Oregon) the \"holiday return policy modification - Staples Code 3813360) is not in effect as it is in other regions of the nation. Due to the liberal nature and inclusiveness of the community, Medford has its residents register and designate which holidays they observe for the calender year, and due to my unique upbringing (Hasidic Jamaican Albino), I opted out of the \"traditional\" Judeo-Christian holidays and applied to honor Rastafarian themed ones, thus making the \"wintertime holidays\" null and void for my residency. Live and learn, huh? Now I face a quandary for next year\'s registration choices...do I choose Christian and be a part of the status quo? or opt to remain true to my faith and suffer the consequences of limited product return windows at Staples? As you can tell, this is a tough spot to be in. I did write an email to Mitt Romney, figuring that as a potential leader of the free world and Staples shareholder, he could properly advise me on the matter. He did offer me some awesome fashion advice (a sensible white button down shirt, Dockers slacks, and a 10 speed bike) as well as some really cool publications. How did he know that I held the all time score for Mormon Trail in middle school? The guy is good, I tell you. Anyway, I will try to be more cautious with my Staples purchases in the future and tell myself that I am so blessed to live in a... Show more

1 0 Reply
Some1

Aug 29, 2012 #535336

Maybe you should have gone to Staples.com instead of taple.com...and during winter time it falls under the holiday return policy so instead of 14 days you have about a month, the return process returns to normal somewhere in the beginning of January 7 or 8th and starts around Thanksgiving

Tom Gulabl

Aug 29, 2012 #535247

I had a return issue with Staples regarding a laptop that I had purchased. I live quite a ways from the store and being it was wintertime with snow and bad roads, I was unable to get to the location within the 14 day time period.

My newly purchased laptop was missing the (S) & (O) keys. I called my Staples store to see if I could get an extension of the 14 day period. They were so friendly and advised me to send an email to corporate to ask for one. So I sent an email to their customer service department at taple.cm. It was sadly returned to me as a delivery failure. I then contacted my local store again and was advised to visit their website for resolution. When I attempted to log into www.taple.cm, I received a "404 Error" that it didn't exist. I felt so ***, as I now surmised that the bad weather that prevented me from getting to the store, had also shut down their email servers, as well as website. Not many places were open with this large winter storm.I should have known better.

I was able to get to my Staples on day 14, but sadly it was closed. The police and the nice man at the alarm company said something about it being after midnight or something like that. I did think it was a really cool feature having all of the bright lights come on when I got into the store to assist me in finding a replacement keyboard for my computer. Just my dumb luck that they would be out of them. The following day when I called and spoke to an Easy Tech, I
... Show more

Some1

Aug 09, 2012 #526680

@CC
I'd like to point out this part.

Returns without a receipt: If you don't have your receipt, your return is eligible only for an in–store credit for the lowest selling price within the previous 30 days in our U.S. stores. Valid government identification is required for all non–receipted returns. We carefully monitor returns and in some cases returns made or without a receipt may be refused. Staples reserves the right to deny any return.

My suggestion is find the receipt or provide the information to corporate so they can find it for you...location, estimated price, rewards, method of payment etc.

CC

Aug 09, 2012 #526469

Here is a copy of their return policy. Note under Office Products.

Return Policy
Easy Returns.
If you’re not 100% satisfied with your Staples purchase, return it for any reason.

Office supplies: No matter when you made your purchase, you can return office supplies to us for a full refund, including Staples® brand office products.

Software: Unopened software that we currently sell may be returned for a full refund at any time. Opened software can only be exchanged for the same title version. Downloadable Software is not returnable.

Technology and Business Machines: Technology and business machines may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt, including Staples® brand technology and business machine products.

Furniture: Furniture, including Staples® brand furniture, may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt. Custom–ordered and custom–assembled furniture is only returnable if it's defective when you receive it.

Ink and Toner Cartridges: Unopened and unexpired ink or toner cartridges, currently carried in our U.S. Stores, may be returned at any time for a full refund.

Prepaid Cards: Gift Cards and phone cards are non–refundable and non–returnable. They are valid only at the retailer/service provider listed on the card. Prepaid cards cannot be redeemed for cash. Specific terms and conditions are included with each
... Show more

Some2

Jun 28, 2013 #670556 San Diego, California, United States

You guys need to understand that printer does not fall under the "Office Supplies" category. It is "Technology and Business Machines" which can be returned within "14 DAYS OF PURCHASE" with receipt.

CC

Aug 09, 2012 #526463

I bought a box of $30 file folders and tried to return it at the store and they offered me pennies on the dollar so to make it not worth returning it .50 they offered me for the box because I didn't have my receipt. I was willing to take in store credit for it but when they all of a sudden tell me that they have to give me the lowest marked price for it in the last 6 months they claim it was .50 cents? REALLY? For a box of file folders that cost me $30 and are still available for purchase at $30? So they basically want to steal from me. Penalize the customer. I told them I'd rather throw them in the trash than give a box of $30 folders to them for .50 cents. Their return policy isn't written like that, but that's how I was treated, as if I stole something. The return policy reads that you can return it for any reason whatsoever no matter when you purchased it. BUT & a big BUT it is, they have the descretion to refuse any return at any time for any reason or to offer you pennies on the dollar to return it. I didn't know they were so desperate as to refuse a return. What a CROCK OF SHEET! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM STAPLES AGAIN!

1 0 Reply

Nov 15, 2013 #743099 Poughkeepsie, New York, United States

Funny that you left this part out.

Returns without a Receipt

If you're returning your item to the same store at which you made the purchase, and you have the credit or debit card you used to make the purchase, we can look up your receipt.

If it was an online order, you can look it up in the My Orders section and reprint your receipt.

If you no longer have your receipt and we cannot locate your transaction information, your return is eligible only for an in-store credit for the lowest selling price within the previous 30 days in our U.S. stores. A valid government identification is required for all returns made without a receipt.

We carefully monitor returns, and in some cases, returns made without a receipt may be refused. Staples reserves the right to deny any return.

Click here if you have any additional questions about returns, refunds or exchanges.

Jay

Jul 27, 2012 #520254

You should have bought the warranty you ***, you knew there was only 2 weeks to return technology items without the warranty. You should blame yourself for being a cheapskate.

0 1 Reply
YOURANIDIOT

Jun 24, 2012 #501332

Do you actually think that staples gives a flying F**k about you and your pathetic 15 employees not shopping with them anymore? They are the largest office supply chaing on the planet. Take your couple hundred dollars a year that you would spend and shove it up your ***. Its people like you that make working in customer service a completely miserable job.

0 1 Reply
IHateStupidCustomers

May 17, 2012 #482035

Julie, you're probably just too dumb to know how to use a camera. it annoys me when people like you think you can control where your friends and family shop just because you decided to throw a fit.

Mar 19, 2015 #960609 Schuylerville, New York, United States

IT is Flippant Emplyees such as yourself which is why Staples is slowly going UNDER..look forward to seeing you & all the other STAPLES employees who don't understand WHO Butters YOUR Bread ...in the Unemployment Line, in NOT TO DISTANT FUTURE...because your COMPANY is FAILING do the *** POOR ATTITUDES like YOUR OWN!

2 0 Reply
julie

May 17, 2012 #481660

I bought a Tablet from staples at Vienna Va. I specifically asked for camera since I travel a lot and I needed a camera and the technician repeatedly said that it has a camera which he showed me the button. I assumed that it has and I trusted him so I purchased it and when I went for my travel, I noticed that it has the front camera that you can only video conference but can't take pix. They lied to me and deceive me to purchase it but they won't exchange it for a better one with the better features even that I am offering to purchase the expensive one. I wasted my money and I was lied to and mistreated by the management and staff. I will never go to staple again and will tell all my friends and family to never go there. Staples has bad customer service and lie a lot. They are horrible.They are ripp off. I will report them to BBB and will hire an attorny. I wont sit back.

IHateStupidCustomers

Apr 19, 2012 #468294

lol you morons just don't understand anything. and the last person that commented said that my thinking isn't good. well obviously that would be you since you and the original poster are just selfish losers rather than understanding people. you two are the types that go into a store, demanding that they do whatever you wish. and the only reason why I know so much is because I've worked retail before. so you say that thinking isn't my "best site?" yet you fail to post anything worth reading other than your love for the original poster..? if you understood retail, you'd know that they don't make much profit off of major electronics such as computers and printers. they actually usually lose money when they go on sale. this is why they offer extended warranties. yeah, they make money off of a majority of them but for some people.. it guarantees them a longer replacement. if someone is too cheap to pay for the Staples warranty then they get what they paid for, the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY. the last poster and his boyfriend need to get that through their heads.

Extended Service Plans Suck

Nov 23, 2013 #746545

Nice try, ***. what good is the lousy warranty when you can't even use it for the first year? For the first year, as I was informed by a Staples employee, your product is covered under the manufacturer's waranty, not the Staples warranty which you have paid for.

1-20 of 55 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.